(StatePoint) With life returning to normal and summer upon us, it’s a good time to focus on creating an outdoor space to enjoy on warm summer evenings. Whether it’s a place for unplugging and relaxing alone or gathering with guests and entertaining, having a spot that you can enjoy well into the fall is key. Below are six tips for turning an average patio, porch or deck into an outdoor oasis.
1. Whether you use your outdoor space for reading a book on a summer day or catching up with friends on a warm night, incorporating plants into this area can create a barrier for privacy. Plant bushes, place large planters in corners or put hanging baskets on hooks around the perimeter. For small patios, you may even consider building a planter wall. Not only will it help with privacy, but it will also add color and dimension, making the space feel like a sanctuary for you and your guests.
2. Add string lights overhead to create ambiance in your space at night. Duck Max Strength Nano-Grab is a versatile double-sided tape you can use for mounting. It’s clear, holds up to 20 pounds per 5-foot roll and sticks to painted drywall, wood, glass, tile, metal, stone and brick without leaving a residue. Nano-Grab will keep your lights secure and in place and make it easy to take them down and store for winter.
3. If you are sticking with the rest and relaxation vibe in your outdoor oasis, think about adding a fountain or other small water feature for relaxing background noise. Keep that sense of zen going into the night with a fire pit, heaters or bamboo torches for warmth on cooler evenings.
4. For those interested in entertaining guests, you may want to mount an outdoor TV for watching summer ball games or a sound system for listening to background music. You’ll want to ensure this equipment is properly installed for outdoor use in areas safe from wind and rain.
5. Creating an outdoor dining area doesn’t have to break the bank. When entertaining guests, a beverage cooler, bar cart and BBQ station are convenient additions you can make to what already exists on your patio. Building a cart or station for storing paper towels, tin foil and other essentials for the grill master can be a fun DIY project, too.
6. Having an amazing space doesn’t always mean starting from scratch – you can simply add a fresh coat of paint in a bright color palette to update existing privacy walls or tables and chairs. All you need is a can of paint and a roll of FrogTape brand painter’s tape to keep lines crisp and clean. As for color, you may be tempted to keep it neutral, but don’t shy away from crisp blues and soft yellows. They will give a fresh and fun feel for all your summer entertaining.
With just a few simple tweaks, you can transform any outdoor area into a beautiful oasis ideal for rest, relaxation and fun.
Photo 1 Credit: (c) FrogTape
Photo 2 Credit: (c) Duck Brand
Photo 3 Credit: (c) Alexey Stiop / Shutterstock.com
Photo 4 Credit: (c) Jamie Hooper / Shutterstock.com
Photo 5 Credit: (c) FrogTape
Photo 6 Credit: (c) FrogTape