Looking for an easy way to help local businesses and people struggling during the COVID-19 pandemic? Then join the 9th Annual Java for Justice event on Thursday, Sept. 3, raising money for local nonprofit Pisgah Legal Services (PLS) and encouraging support for local coffee shops and restaurants.
“For the past eight years, local coffee houses have supported Pisgah Legal Services through the Java for Justice fundraiser,” said Ally Wilson, PLS director of development. “But this year, our local small businesses are also struggling. This year we are asking people to make a purchase at their favorite coffee house or restaurant and make an online gift to Pisgah Legal Services as we work to help their neighbors by preventing evictions and homelessness, stopping domestic violence, accessing unemployment benefits and health care.”
Make a gift to Pisgah Legal online on Sept. 3 at www.pisgahlegal.org/java and be automatically entered to win an Apple Watch donated by Charlotte Street Computers. Or register online and be entered to win.
Participating coffee shops and restaurants in Western North Carolina include:
- Black Bear Coffee Co., 318 N. Main St., Hendersonville
- City Bakery, 60 Biltmore Ave. / 88 Charlotte St., Asheville
- The Farmhouse Mercantile & Coffee Bar, 582 Main St., Sylva
- High Five, 190 Broadway St./ 13 Rankin Ave / 2000 Riverside Dr., Asheville
- Liberty House Cafe, 221 S. Liberty St., Asheville
- Penny Cup, 362 Depot St. / 39 Market St / 6 Beverly Rd /857 Merrimon Ave., Asheville
- Pisgah Coffee Roasters, 6283 Asheville Hwy., Pisgah Forest
- Starbucks, 62 Charlotte St., Asheville
- Wakey Monkey, 18 Church St., Saluda
Since 1978, PLS has helped low-income people meet their basic needs, such as protection from domestic violence, avoiding homelessness, finding safe housing, accessing health care and increasing income. Pisgah Legal provides a broad array of legal services in 11 WNC counties, and offers health and immigration law services in 18 counties. Last year, PLS served more than 18,000 people across the mountain region.
PLS has offices in Asheville, Burnsville, Brevard, Hendersonville, Marshall, and Rutherfordton and has added staff in 2020 to serve the people of Macon and Jackson counties. Pisgah Legal has 29 attorneys on staff and relies heavily on the pro bono legal services of approximately 300 volunteer attorneys.
For more information, call Pisgah Legal Services at 828-253-0406 or toll free at 800-489-6144 or go to www.pisgahlegal.org.