Spring is here and the growing season is upon us! Tailgate tents are going up, and area farmers markets are opening outdoors for the season.
Celebrate spring by getting a taste of what Appalachian Grown™ farms are growing. At early spring markets, find fresh greens, spring onions and asparagus; meats, cheeses, baked goods, value-added farm products like preserves, and a wide selection of plant starts. Produce offerings will differ from market to market based on the location of vendor farms—microclimates vary greatly in the region. But the season changes quickly, with new offerings sprouting up each week.
Asheville City Market, one of the region’s vibrant farmers markets, is moving to a new, street-closed location in downtown Asheville. Starting on April 1, Asheville City Market will be open on North Market Street, between Woodfin Street and East Walnut Street, where shoppers can enjoy open-air shopping for goods offered by local farmers, craftspeople, bakers, and lots of new vendors.
Find a list of other spring tailgate opening days below. For a complete list of the tailgate markets in the region, including their season start dates, visit ASAP’s online Local Food Guide at appalachiangrown.org. The 2017 print guide hits stands in mid-April.
Central Mountains Regional Tailgate Markets
- Asheville City Market: Open now, held Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Asheville City Market – South: Open now, Wednesdays noon to 4 p.m.
- Black Mountain Tailgate Market: Opens May 6, Saturdays 9 a.m. – noon
- East Asheville Tailgate Market: May 5, Fridays 3 – 6 p.m.
- French Broad Food Co-op Wednesday Tailgate Market: Opens April 19, Wednesdays 2– 6 p.m.
- Madison County Farmers & Artisans Market: Open now, Saturdays 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- North Asheville Tailgate Market: Open now, Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Oakley Farmers Market: Opens May 4, Thursdays 3:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- River Arts District Farmers Market: Opens May 3, Wednesdays 2 – 6 p.m.
- Sundays on the Island: Open now, Sundays 12:00 –
- Weaverville Tailgate Market: April 12, Wednesdays 2:30 – 6:30 pm
- West Asheville Tailgate Market: April 4, Tuesdays 3:30 – 6:30 pm
- WNC Farmers Market: Jan 1, Open Everyday 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Yancey County Farmers Market: April 22, Saturdays 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Foothills Regional Tailgate Markets
- Caldwell County Farmers Market: May 6, Saturdays 7 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Hildebran Farmers Market: May 2, Tuesdays 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Historic Marion Tailgate Market: TBA
- Lenoir Downtown Farmers Market: Open now, Wednesdays – Saturdays 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Morganton Farmers Market: May 3, Wednesdays 2 – 6 p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Rutherford County Farmers Market: Opens April 15, Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Sawmills Farmers Market: May 2, Tuesdays 3 – 6:30 p.m.
- Valdese Farmers Market: May 12, Wednesdays 8 a.m. – noon and Fridays 2-6 p.m.
Southern Mountains Regional Tailgate
- Columbus Tailgate Market: April 8, Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Flat Rock Farmers Market: May 4, Thursdays 3 – 6 p.m.
- Henderson County Curb Market: Year-round; Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Henderson County Tailgate Market: Open now, Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Mills River Farmers Market: May 6, Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Saluda Tailgate Market: May 5, Fridays 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Transylvania Farmers’ Market: April 1, Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Tryon Tailgate Market: May 3, Wednesdays 9 a.m. – noon
Near West Regional Tailgate Markets
- Franklin Farmers Tailgate Market: TBA
- Haywood’s Historic Farmers Market: April 15, Wednesdays and Saturdays 8 a.m. – noon
- Jackson County Farmers Market: April 1, Saturdays 9 a.m. – noon
- Original Waynesville Tailgate Market: May 6, Wednesdays and Saturdays 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Swain County Farmers Market: May 5, Fridays 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- ‘Whee Market: April 4, Tuesdays 4 – 7 p.m.
ASAP’s mission is to help local farms thrive, link farmers to markets and supporters, and build healthy communities through connections to local food. To learn more about ASAP’s work, visitasapconnections.org, or call (828) 236-1282.